In preparation for the next project (or at least one of the next projects) I set out to make an all-lace full cap base. Not being particularly skilled in the sewing department, it wasn't an easy task to figure out how to make the lace conform to the shape of the head block. After much trial and error, however, and a good deal of internet plagiarism, I ended up with what you see in the pictures. I did it in three sections, starting with the front. I pinned the lace into place, then stitched the darts by hand with invisible thread. Once I was satisfied that the front was holding its shape, I attached the lace to cover the crown area. After stitching the darts, then joining the two pieces, I moved on to the nape area. Once everything was joined and shaped to my satisfaction, I trimmed off the excess lace around the seams. I'm pretty happy with the result.
Now, let the ventilation begin!
|The lace cap pinned to the head block.|
|From the back, showing the darts in the crown and nape areas.|
|Shown here with the template used to transfer the shape to the head block.|