I swore I would never do this again, but for some reason I decided to have another go at re-fronting a commercial wig. I found this one on eBay. It was made from heat-resistant fibre that looked quite nice, and was very inexpensive so I bough two of them. I will use one for the back section (see the photo) and I will cut the hair off the other one to ventilate the top and front.
In the photo you can see that I have cut out the entire top and am in the process of attaching lace. The wig had a very unnatural-looking crown, right on top of the head (rather than where the crown should be) so I decided to get rid of the whole thing.
I might use the wefts that I removed from the top to add a bit of volume to the back. It is a nice natural density now, but the wefts seem quite visible. I will see what it looks like once the new top has been ventilated, and decide then if I need to add any wefts to the back.
This should hopefully be a quick project. I have several others on the go, but I prefer having options as I tend to get bored easily. Stay tuned...